January 4, 2011

For my momma..... Poppy Seed Bread

NO ONE does breads or muffins like my momma. The woman has a knack for breads and muffins. When I was a kid, she would make bran muffins almost once a week, and would eat one for breakfast every morning. Now, being a kid, you would think that I wouldn't want to touch those things... they are bran after all, but dammit they were good. I've searched high and low for a recipe that might beat her banana bread recipe... can't find it. She makes these cinnamon muffins that are TO DIE for. I'm tellin ya... she's the queen.

When I made this poppy seed bread the other day... I thought of her. It's not quite AS awesome as hers, but it sure makes a ton... and the kiddo loves it. Maybe I'm on my way to being the Bread Princess???


Shopping List:
Flour
Salt
Baking Powder
Eggs
Milk
Oil
Sugar
Poppy Seeds
Vanilla
Butter flavoring (I just used the butter that I had in the fridge, and melted it)
Almond Extract


Recipe:
(taken from Cowgirl Up in the Kitchen, by Cowgirls of the West Inc)

3 c flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 1/2 c milk
1 1/2 c oil
2 1/4 c sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 tsp butter flavoring (or butter)
1 1/2 tsp almond extract


Combine all ingredients in mixer. Beat for 2 minutes ONLY. Pour into at least 2 loaf pans, and back at 350 degrees for an hour (maybe a little more, depending).


OPTIONAL GLAZE!!!!

2 c powdered sugar
4 Tbsp Orange juice
orange zest
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp butter flavoring (or melted butter)

Combine ingredients in mixer. If it's a little thick, add cream to thin it so it is easy to spread on warm bread.


We didn't glaze it, that probably would have made it too sweet for us (cuz we're trying to eat better.... remember?), but someone should try it and lemme know how it is!

1 comment:

  1. I adore poppyseed bread. Nothing like a food that will show you positive on a drug test! :)

    ReplyDelete