January 2, 2011

In an effort to make my family eat better this year...

I'm turning this blog upside down and inside out. I'm turning it into..... wait for it.... a cooking blog.

Cooking is something that I've ALWAYS been good at, I've ALWAYS loved to do, and when I feel out of balance (like I have been lately) I turn to it to put me back to where I need to be. The last few days of 2010 were spent baking and souping and cleaning. I feel better today than I have in a long time. Pictures have been posted all over my Facebook of the wonderful things I have made. People have asked for recipes. So. Here we are. The idea? To spread the love. I'll give you a shopping list, the recipe, and ideas for leftovers (if I have any). Hope you guys enjoy it... and spread the word.

This one's for Court. Cuz she asked.


Chicken Parmigiana and Pasta with Alfredo Sauce...

Shopping List:

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (we buy the big packages and split them up)
Bread crumbs (Italian style if you can find them)
Eggs
Mozzarella Cheese (Shredded in the bag if you want, I buy whichever is on sale)
Spaghetti Sauce
Pasta (whatever kind you want)
Olive Oil (I use this ALL the time)
Parmesan Cheese (Again, shredded if you want, buy whatever is on sale)
Garlic (cloves or minced in the jar, if you use a TON, I suggest the jar)
Onions (white, yellow, sweet, whatever)
Nutmeg
Butter (NOT margarine)
Flour
Milk (we use 1% to cut back on the fat content... use cream if you want, but if you're going for healthy, I'd use whatever milk you normally drink)


Ingredients (Chicken Parm):

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3/4 c Italian style bread crumbs (if you don't have them, add dried oregano, thyme, and sage to regular bread crumbs)
1 egg slightly beaten
1 jar spaghetti sauce
About 2 handfuls of Mozzarella cheese

Dip breasts in egg, then roll in bread crumbs. Place in a greased baking pan, cook for approximately 30 min at 400 degrees. Pour spaghetti sauce over chicken, top with mozzarella cheese and cook for 10 minutes more or until chicken is no longer pink in the center. (Yes, it's that easy)



Ingredients (Pasta with Alfredo sauce):
1 small onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp Flour
About 3 1/2 c milk
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 handfuls Parmesan Cheese


Heat olive oil in small saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic until onions are translucent (about 5-7 minutes). In a medium saucepan, combine butter and flour (this is called a "rue") over medium heat, stirring constantly, and bring to a bubble. Continue stirring and cooking for about 3 minutes (you want to cook the flour taste out). Add onion and garlic and about 1/2 c milk. Cook, stirring constantly, for another 3 minutes, add the rest of the milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, add nutmeg and cheese. Stir until thickened. Serve over your favorite pasta.




That's it. There's really nothing to it. I served this last night with fresh parsley that I had left over. It was amazing!!! Even little Oz decided he wanted a bite!




No comments:

Post a Comment