January 5, 2011

Sloppy Joes

Even when you're trying to feed your family good food, you still crave the occasional hamburger, or pizza, or even something deep fried. I was having one of those nights last night. I was tired, it was chilly outside, and I just wanted something that would make me feel better. Partner this up with a salad and you have an amazing meal that just makes you feel good.

Sloppy Joes

Shopping List:
Ground turkey, buffalo, chicken (something other than beef for the lower fat content)
Onion
Green Pepper
Celery
Worcestershire sauce
Ketchup
Sugar
Mustard (I used the left over sweet hot mustard we had in the fridge... delish!)
Vinegar (white please)
Whole wheat buns

Recipe:

1 lb ground turkey (that's what we used)
1 medium onion minced
1/2 c celery minced
1/2 c green pepper minced
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp Mustard
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Vinegar
3/4 c Ketchup


Brown meat for 3 or 4 minutes over medium heat breaking up clumps. Stir in all other ingredients. Simmer, over low heat stirring occasionally, for 40 minutes, or until all the flavors come together. Serve over 1/2 whole wheat bun.


*I have a child that will NOT eat anything green. So... I put all the veggies in the food processor for a few seconds to ground them rather than mince them so he would eat it. Just a thought for those with picky eaters.



No comments:

Post a Comment